Re: Would allowing preseed to be a tarball a good idea?

Glen Huang <heyhgl@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Currently, the preseed file needs to be a text file. I find it to be a
> bit limiting, especially if you want to do some non-trivial scripting
> in either early_command or late_command (let's call them runners).
> There are basically four options to address it AFAIK:

You can do rather complicated stuff actually, as seen in my (somewhat
rusty) example here:

  https://hands.com/d-i/

which has loads of scripts and conditional actions going on, and is
intended to work either from a remote server, or from a directory that
d-i can see, which ought to cover at least a couple of your cases.

I've not tested that against recent releases, but it should give you
some ideas.

Cheers, Phil.

P.S. if you were to decide to use that framework for your work I'd
suggest talking to me about it first so you don't base your work on
parts of it I'm just about to remove, as I'm just doing a bit of a
redesign and update to get it going again with bullseye.