Re: Would allowing preseed to be a tarball a good idea?

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 12:37:04PM +0800, Glen Huang wrote:

> @Philip
> > On Feb 16, 2022, at 5:48 PM, Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> wrote:
> >
> > Glen Huang <heyhgl@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Currently, the preseed file needs to be a text file. I find it to be a
> >> bit limiting, especially if you want to do some non-trivial scripting
> >> in either early_command or late_command (let's call them runners).
> >> There are basically four options to address it AFAIK:
> >
> > You can do rather complicated stuff actually, as seen in my (somewhat
> > rusty) example here:
> >
> >  https://hands.com/d-i/
>
> I learned a few tricks, thanks for sharing it.
>
> I didn’t know about preseed/run, somehow missed it when reading
> the doc for the first time. It does #3 in a pretty elegant way, and
> with pressef_fetch, they basically allow me to treat the web server
> as a tarball.
>
> @Geert
> > On Feb 16, 2022, at 5:50 PM, Geert Stappers <stappers@stappers.nl> wrote:
> >
> > The initrd of d-i can indeed be extended / appended.
> > And in the "appendix" goes the desired extras. Then
> >
> > d-i  preseed/early_commands  /myextras/early_script
>
> If I’m not wrong, this requires repackaging the installer media?

Nope, append is append,  not repackaging.

> I do still think a direct tarball support would be icing on the
> cake. You can upload it to some public service and maybe shorten the
> url and then directly use it, obviating the needs for setting up a web
> server.

Yes, having a webserver with your extras  will you gain you the benefits
of getting the desired extras.

So go for it   :-)

> But I agree the current utilities provided by the installer
> already make things a breeze, so I wouldn’t complain. :)

(-:    I ignore complains, but do listen to improvement proposals   :-)

> Regards,
> Glen

Groeten
Geert Stappers