Re: [AMD/ATI graphics] Missing firmware not declared / kernel modules not included in initrd

On Sun, 2021-04-25 at 10:13 +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
[...]
> Adding to this, if I may.
>
> I've got two machines which both turn out to need firmware-amd-graphics
> rather than the more modern firmware-amdgpu.

There is no "firmware-amdgpu".  firmware-amd-graphics includes firmware
for all AMD GPUs, regardless of which kernel driver supports them.

> Installing with Bullsye RC1 netinst for amd64 but NOT the unofficial firmware
> version. debian-bullseye-DI-rc1-amd64-netinst.iso
>
> Even on an expert text mode install.the installer does not prompt for the
> firmware-amd-graphics package to be installed - it does complain about
> Realtek ethernet drivers and a Ralink WiFi card suggesting that you install
> the firmware for these.

On PCs (and some other architectures) the installer can rely on the
system firmware to set up a framebuffer, so we don't waste space by
including graphics drivers.

However, its current support for device firmware is limited to
prompting for firmware requested by loaded drivers.  This is why it
does not detect that the GPU may need firmware when the installed
system is booted.

> Booting the install medium does show, in passing,
> in text that you need Radeon firmware R600 for modesetting.

There are Debian-specific patches to the amdgpu and radeon drivers that
has a basic check for missing firmware and aborts initialisation before
reaching a point of no return.  This is the error message that radeon
will print in this case.  But this means radeon *is* being loaded.

Did you mean to say "booting the installed system"?

[...]
> This is explicitly NOT amdgpu which is where people are reporting black
> screens and no output whatsoever, I think.

And I don't understand that... unless firmware-amd-graphics is missing
some firmware needed by the latest kernel version.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
I'm not a reverse psychological virus.