Re: [AMD/ATI graphics] Missing firmware not declared / kernel modules not included in initrd

On 24/04/21 at 23:27 +0200, Holger Wansing wrote:
> Results:
>
> Installing Buster (with GNOME DE) lead to a system failing to start X,
> system hangs on the console, latest entry is "Starting GNOME Display Manager".
> The needed firmware package (firmware-amd-graphics) was NOT installed.
> Installing it makes GNOME UI start fine.
>
> Installation of Bullseye was basically the same (installation completed
> successfully, amd firmware package was NOT installed).
> The difference: there was a small delay while starting up (~ 10 sec.), but
> after that X and GNOME were starting fine.
>
> So, on this hardware and with 'radeon' kernel module, everything would be
> fine for Bullseye. No need for further action.
> (I can deliver installation logs or whatever information, if needed, feel
> free to ask.)
> However, it's somewhat older hardware with 'radeon' module.
> Thus it does not stand for the "amdgpu firmware problem", I fear.

I don't understand:
does this mean that the issue that you reported in
https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2020/12/msg00026.html can be
considered fixed? And that the situation improved between buster and
bullseye?

Lucas