Re: Tentative summary of the AMD/ATI/NVidia issue

Le dimanche 25 avril 2021, 13:18:03 CEST Rebecca N. Palmer a écrit :
> Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> > getting my hands on relevant hardware is in progress
>
> Note that https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2021/04/msg00247.html
> implies the affected hardware is _not_ simply "all AMD/ATI or NVidia
> hardware".  Do we know of hardware that is reproducibly affected?
>
> YunQiang Su wrote:
> > The problem is that:
> > the older version of GNOME, or Mate, can work with vesa driver,
> > while current GNOME cannot.
>
> Do non-GNOME-based desktops work (either KDE, or one of the
> lightweight/for-old-hardware ones e.g. icewm), or is the problem further
> down the stack?

Hi,

having a RX 470 (POLARIS10) at hand, I thought I’d give a couple of data points for the buster vs. bullseye comparison.
I confirm the graphical installer works for both buster and bullseye.

I ran the standard install on this machine for the 10.9 and bullseye RC1 amd64 images for each of the following 3 desktops : GNOME, Plasma and MATE because they use different DMs (GDM, SDDM, LightDM).

Here are the results for the 3 desktops without and with firmware-amd-graphics installed:

|fw-amd-graphics   | without   | with          |
|Buster   | GNOME  | broken    | not tested    |
|         | Plasma | broken    | OK (hw accel) |
|         | MATE   | broken    | OK (hw accel) |
|Bullseye | GNOME  | OK (llvm) | OK (hw accel) |
|         | Plasma | broken    | OK (hw accel) |
|         | MATE   | OK (llvm) | OK (hw accel) |

broken    = stays on black or text kernel tty, the display manager won’t come up
OK (llvm) = DM and desktop work, the OpenGL rendering is done by the CPU using LLVM, resolution is limited to 1024x768

So at least for this piece of hardware we’re better off with bullseye than what we currently ship with buster.

Cheers,
--
Aurélien