Re: [AMD/ATI graphics] Missing firmware not declared / kernel modules not included in initrd

Hi,

Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org> wrote (Sun, 25 Apr 2021 10:08:32 +0200):
> >I don't understand:
> >does this mean that the issue that you reported in
> >https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2020/12/msg00026.html can be
> >considered fixed? And that the situation improved between buster and
> >bullseye?
>
> For this (old) hardware: yes, seems so.
>
> However, we have several user reports, that not installed firmware leads to problems
> like black or garbled screen.

To be more clear:

The main point of my report at
https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2020/12/msg00026.html ist:
the installer is - per design - unable to detect, that the hardware needs
firmware to be installed.

And this situation did not change!

The bullseye installation yesterday did not install the firmware package.

What seems to have changed is:
GNOME seems to work (at least on this hardware !!!), even without the firmware
installed.

(Also: Look at the other reports I quoted in my mail above for more user cases.)

Holger

--
Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076