Re: Tentative summary of the AMD/ATI/NVidia issue

Cyril Brulebois wrote:
getting my hands on relevant hardware is in progress

Note that https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2021/04/msg00247.html implies the affected hardware is _not_ simply "all AMD/ATI or NVidia hardware". Do we know of hardware that is reproducibly affected?

YunQiang Su wrote:
The problem is that:
the older version of GNOME, or Mate, can work with vesa driver,
while current GNOME cannot.

Do non-GNOME-based desktops work (either KDE, or one of the lightweight/for-old-hardware ones e.g. icewm), or is the problem further down the stack?

Though even if these do work, the performance penalty of using vesa may well be too large for this to be a good solution.