Re: [AMD/ATI graphics] Missing firmware not declared / kernel modules not included in initrd

Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org> 于2021年4月25日周日 上午5:27写道:

> Hi,
>
> Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org> wrote (Sat, 24 Apr 2021 21:59:44 +0200):
> > Hi,
> >
> > Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@debian.org> wrote (Sat, 24 Apr 2021 16:44:58 +0200):
> > > Would you be in a position to check a debian 10 install on the same
> > > hardware, and fetch the dmesg output and /var/log/Xorg.0.log after
> > > installation, as well as the list of installed packages (to understand
> > > if firmware packages were installed somehow)?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > And then maybe do the same with the bullseye RC1 image?
> > >
> > > Also can you confirm that just switching to another console and
> > > installing the firmware package there was enough to fix the issue?
> > >
> > > I don't understand whether this is a regression from Debian 10 or not.
> > > For example,
> > > was about the RC2 for the buster installer.
> >
> > I'm just installing Buster on that machine.
> > Will collect data after that, and try Bullseye next.
>
> Results:
>
> Installing Buster (with GNOME DE) lead to a system failing to start X,
> system hangs on the console, latest entry is "Starting GNOME Display Manager".
> The needed firmware package (firmware-amd-graphics) was NOT installed.
> Installing it makes GNOME UI start fine.
>
> Installation of Bullseye was basically the same (installation completed
> successfully, amd firmware package was NOT installed).
> The difference: there was a small delay while starting up (~ 10 sec.), but
> after that X and GNOME were starting fine.
>
> So, on this hardware and with 'radeon' kernel module, everything would be
> fine for Bullseye. No need for further action.
> (I can deliver installation logs or whatever information, if needed, feel
> free to ask.)
> However, it's somewhat older hardware with 'radeon' module.
> Thus it does not stand for the "amdgpu firmware problem", I fear.

For us (mips port), it is a long history of problem.
The problem is that:
the older version of GNOME, or Mate, can work with vesa driver,
while current GNOME cannot.

Without amd/ati non-free firmware, radeon/amdgpu cannot work at all.
So on mips platform with AMDGPU (aka, Loongson-3),
it has nothing on display at all, even console.
The reason is that there are no vesa driver on MIPS.

--
YunQiang Su