Re: partman, growlight, discoverable partitions, and fun

Hello!

On 9/27/21 12:46, Luca Boccassi wrote:
>> Also, since parted is maintained by RedHat, I would expect that this feature
>> would land in parted soon as well.
>>
> If the question is "why does X not use libparted", "does not support
> discoverable parts spec" is a good enough answer for me.

Not for me, though. Debian has always followed the philosophy to be a universal
operating system, which also meant that we can't (immediately) use all the new
technologies and features that other distributions or upstream projects develop.

For example, we don't use systemd-homed or systemd-firstboot either. That doesn't
mean Debian is per se worse off. It just means Debian tries to cater different use
cases and follows different concepts.

It's different for distributions like Fedora or openSUSE which focus on a very
limited set of targets and use cases. That's why they can quickly adopt to all
the new features and technologies that upstream projects like systemd develop.

I'm not saying that one philosophy is better than the other. I'm just saying that
Debian is not like these other distributions.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz