Re: partman, growlight, discoverable partitions, and fun

It supports MBR, GPT, and APM:

https://github.com/dankamongmen/growlight/blob/master/src/ptable.c#L51-L123

(sorry for the gmail-style top posting; i can't find your mail in my mbox for whatever reason)

Any other partition schemes ought be trivial to add; they've not been added yet
simply because I don't have means with which to test them.

Looking at the "partition types" section of the Linux configuration, I see:
 Acorn, AIX, Alpha, Amiga, Atari, Macintosh, MSDOS, BSD, Minix, Solaris x86, Unixware,
 Windows LDM, SGI, Ultrix, Sun, Karma, EFI/GPT, and SYSV68.

Looking at the disk-label code from partman, I see:
 gpt, msdos, amiga, atari, mac, sun

So the only ones covered by partman and not covered by growlight would be: amiga, atari, sun,
and mac (if mac is not the same as APM). I don't see any difficulty in adding these four, so long
as there's someone with an Amiga or ATARI who'd be willing to test them out. If there are no such
people, is it that important?

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 5:29 PM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
Hello!

On 9/23/21 22:57, nick black wrote:
> I am just finishing up the implementation of Discoverable GPT
> Partitions [0] in my growlight tool, and it seems a good time to
> see if I can push this discussion [1] forward.

Does it support partition tables other than GPT, in particular all
of the partition tables that parted supports?

If not, I don't think it would be a viable replacement for partman.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer - glaubitz@debian.org

--
nick black <nickblack@linux.com>
to make an apple pie from scratch, one need first invent a universe.