partman, growlight, discoverable partitions, and fun

Hello there, debian-boot!

I am just finishing up the implementation of Discoverable GPT
Partitions [0] in my growlight tool, and it seems a good time to
see if I can push this discussion [1] forward.

I'd like to sound out especially the d-i shareholders on
replacement of partman with growlight. I can already hear
hackles raising; I invite you to watch [2]/read [3] my Debconf
21 presentation, "Parting Ways with Partman", where I hope
I've made a fairly complete and not-too-incorrect assessment
of the situation.

Essentially, my argument is that a tool which can both (a) play
the system preparation role of partman in d-i and (b) function
as a mainstream post-install disk management/analysis tool is
likely to minimize time to support of new features, and doesn't
consume developer time that can't be used outside of d-i.

If any longtime developers are truly wedded to partman, I don't
want to step on any toes; I'm the new guy; I certainly don't see
any immediately compelling technical reason to make a switch.
If you enjoy volunteer hackery on partman, great. I suspect,
however, that partman is no one's great love. Growlight is a
tool I've maintained and expanded over a decade, and intend to
continue improving, outside of any system installation role.