Re: No or wrong modules on netinst prevents install

El mar, 27-07-2021 a las 23:16 +0200, Cyril Brulebois escribió:
Hi Carlos,

Hi Cyril,

Carlos R. Pasqualini <carlos@carlospasqualini.com.ar> (2021-07-27):
I'm having trouble using a netboot of bullseye, because of wrong kernel
modules. This issue happens from time to time and happens from when a
new kernel hits testing until a new corresponding release of
netboot.tar.gz is published on ftp.debian.org

I can see on tracker that there are new commits not released yet, that
i assume it is related, but not sure enough:

commit 13997c93e86d59b4c22cc0f254c9ca95b78f35a0
Author: Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com>
Date:   Sun Jun 27 22:41:58 2021 +0100

    Bump Linux kernel ABI to 5.10.0-8

Can we work on automating this a little bit further on a way that new
kernels get released in sync with new builds of debian-installer?
Last kernel migrated to testing on July 23

We need either (or both) of:

* Keep old kernel modules on repositories until new debian-installer
gets build and distributed, so we can keep installing using netinst.

netinst is a full ISO which has all required bits. I reckon you meant
netboot here though.

Yes! typo here

* Get some automation that a new kernel triggers a build and
distribution of newer netboot images, so the requirement for the
former tends to zero.

Don't know if this issue needs to be resolved by this team or no

Please, keep in mind I'm not on this list, so please CC me

https://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/ is what you're looking for.

While this is where I get a working netboot file, I think it is not an ideal solution, please let me explain

In my case, I have a cronjob that looks for updated files every day, while I don't need the very latest daily build, just an (almost/testing) reliable network install for testing.
Downloading from ftp.debian.org will download a new installer every few weeks, while downloading from daily-builds will download every day. And downloading everyday seems to me a waste of resources on both sides.

What I mean with this, is that if Debian is distributing a file, it should either work or point to a working file. Right now we are distributing a non-working file on:
https://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-{ArchHere}/current/images/netboot/netboot.tar.gz

I am pretty sure I am not the only one that needs to change from time to time from deb.debian.org to d-i.debian.org because of this, or keeps getting unused daily downloads, or just thinking that it will not work at all, by not finding the daily builds.

Again, I don't know if this is some kind of bug or issue to be resolved, just that I feel that it is not working right, as it is right now, and wanted to put it to the team's consideration.

Thanks again!

--
Carlos R. Pasqualini