Re: serial console install issues

On 4/11/21 8:37 PM, Richard Hector wrote:
On 11/04/21 11:51 am, Richard Hector wrote:
Then finally, I can't remember how, I discovered that it didn't like displaying on a 24-line terminal, which most of the terminals I tried default to.

With a 25-line terminal, it all seems useable - and Minicom mostly displays it ok too (not quite right; the blue box isn't quite drawn properly, and seems too low on the screen?

I'm not sure where I got the idea that minicom was displaying a blue box; I think I was mistaken and still using screen.

Using Minicom, I found I have to use a 26-line terminal, because Minicom displays a status line, so a 25-line terminal only leaves 24 lines usable, and the same problems remain.

Minicom also doesn't display the line-drawing characters correctly, and I don't see any difference between selected and unselected lines in Syslinux, so I have to select the right option by counting keypresses.

Minicom is also a pain because it assumes the existence of a modem, and tries to initialise it on startup - I got rid of all the modem control strings, which works - but really screen is much easier. That's probably worth mentioning in the Installation Guide.

I haven't (this time) tried cu (seems to need a config file or something in advance) or any other options. seyon looks likes it needs a lot of setup too.

This has gone back and forth quite a bit, so not sure where you are at, but....

I use the following with a USB dongle:

screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200

Screen is superior to minicom.

There is probably something similar when using the serial port directly.

I've always had problems with funny characters and such, it comes down to BIOS settings in the target device, as well as emulator set in screen.  I've never really had problems with 24 or 25 line issues.  Maybe because of used putty or screen as the app for interaction.