Re: Manually add firmware (or other) packages for installation?

On Sat 27 Feb 2021 at 19:28:49 +0100, Holger Wansing wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Brian Potkin <claremont102@gmail.com> wrote (Sat, 27 Feb 2021 16:54:01 +0000):
> > >                         but if the installer does not include non-free firmware
> > > + packages,
> >
> > "if"? There is only *one* installer. It does not include non-free
> > firmware packages. Did you have some other non-Debian variant in
> > mind to promote in the installer?
>
> Sorry, I overlooked this part:

No problem, Holger.

> You are wrong here, we have indeed more than one installer!!!
> Looking at
> https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
> for example, there you will find (at the bottom, below the daily snapshots)
> links to unofficial installer images, which have firmware packages included.

The word "unofficial" gives it away. I suppose there could be as many
unofficial images as there developers who commit their efforts to
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/. None of them would be
the one, true and free installer. None of them deserves to be called
"the installer". The sentence I referred to should read

   but the installer does not include non-free firmware packages,

This is not a matter of Englis usage but of reality.

--
Brian.