Re: Manually add firmware (or other) packages for installation?

On Sat 27 Feb 2021 at 19:22:24 +0100, Holger Wansing wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Brian Potkin <claremont102@gmail.com> wrote (Sat, 27 Feb 2021 16:54:01 +0000):
> > > +Template: hw-detect/firmware_packages_to_install
> > > +Type: string
> > > +# :sl2:
> > > + Modern devices (like graphics cards or network devices) tend to need firmware
> > > + blobs to be loaded onto the device, to be (fully) functional. This may already
> > > + have been dealt with,
> >
> > Surely not "may" but "will".
>
> Sorry, I don't get your point here.
> Do you think, that the installer will surely do the needed things regarding firmware
> installation automatically?

As far as the firmware it knows about, yes. If it doesn't it is a
bug. That is why the sentence should read

  This will already have been dealt with,

Whether it has been dealt with to your satisfaction is a different
matter.

> This is true for many hardware, but not true for graphics cards!
> Which is the reason for this patch.

I think I understand your concerns.

[...]

> > A duplication of what the installer already provides.

I'd have liked that addressed.

> > > + .
> > > + If you don't know what to enter, just leave it blank to not install any
> > > + additional packages.
> >
> > Have you thought of using tasksel to provide the installation of
> > non-free packages?
>
> Using tasksel for this would just allow to display one simple line for
> this topic ("Install firmware packages" or similar) and no possibility to

"Install non-free firmware packages" would be the option. Why should
it need more detail? The other entries aren't exactly locquacious.

> give more detailed description, what this is or why this is needed (and
> mention that this may need non-free).
> This all is what the patch does.
> And how to use tasksel: do you want to add a single task for every firmware
> package? How many entries for such tasks would that be?

A metapackage?

> Or do you want to add just one task, and install all firmware packages we have
> in Debian at once, no matter which hardware is in the PC?

Installing all firmware packages isn't unreasonable, surely? After
all, xorg installs all video drivers. Nobody has complained yet.

> No, I think using tasksel for this is not suitable.

How about early_command, late_command and pkgsel? These facilities
are already provided by the installer. Why are they not suitable?

--
Brian.