Re: Completely switch graphical installer to fonts-noto?

[ I am not subscribed: please cc me on replies ]

Quoting Steve McIntyre (2020-03-28 17:58:54)
> On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 05:52:26PM +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> >Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org> (2020-03-27):
> >>
> >> So, what's the opinion of the team: is there any interest to move
> >> to fonts-noto?
> >
> >Besides the first topic you mentioned, and the idea of putting all
> >our eggs in the same basket (possibly meaning less maintenance for
> >us, and/or maybe more pressure on the maintainers of a newly-critical
> >component), the big question is what users will think of the changes.
> >
> >I suppose the best way to approach this would be to ask e.g.
> >translators for each language to compare the rendering before/after,
> >and have them tell us what they think (maybe by setting up a poll). I
> >suspect this might be a rather time consuming task…
>
> Maybe just do it, and announce it as a big change for the next alpha
> release?

Thanks for Cc'im me, Steve - I forgot to mention I am not subscribed.

Holger Wansing wrote:
> However, I did some tests, and I managed to get a netboot-gtk mini.iso
> image built with only this font packages:
>	fonts-android-udeb (apparently needed for CJK languages)
>	fonts-noto-unhinted-udeb

The CJK fonts are _not_ optimized for embedded use.

What I recommend is to switch all _except_ CJK locales to use
fonts-noto-hinted-udeb + fonts-noto-unhinted-udeb.  That should be far
less bloated, and can be reduced further by including only the fonts
actually used.

The package names for the udeb packages are misleading (only reasons not
renaming are a) the annoying delay waiting for NEW processing and b)
bothering you installer team folks with adjusting for such rename).
Really the two packages contain this:

fonts-noto-hinted-udeb: Unhinted fonts actually used by the installer

fonts-noto-unhinted-udeb: Unhinted other fonts (including hieroglyphs)

Holger Wansing wrote:
> I'm unsure, if switching completely to Google fonts (fonts-noto is a
> Google project, right?) is what we want, thinking about monopolism...

Correct, the Noto project is funded by Google (as mentioned in the
package long descriptions).

I share your scepticism towards Google in general, but do not recognize
any reason for concern here specifically.  Maybe if you shared your
concerns in more detail, I am happy to reflect on them.

[ I am not subscribed: please cc me on replies ]

 - Jonas