Re: netcfg: proposal for template change

On Fri, 2020-01-10 at 22:01 +0100, Holger Wansing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose a change on a template in netcfg:
[...]
>   The IP address you provided is malformed. It should be in the form
> - x.x.x.x where each 'x' is no larger than 255 (an IPv4 address), or a
> - sequence of blocks of hexadecimal digits separated by colons (an IPv6
> + x.x.x.x where each 'x' is an integer not larger than 255 (for an IPv4 address), or
> + xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx each 'xxxx' being a block of hexadecimal digits (for an IPv6
>   address). Please try again.
[...]

But IPv6 addresses do not have to look like that: leading zeroes in
each group can be omitted and a run of all-zero groups in the middle
can be omitted.

And really I think the tiny proportion of users who need to enter
static network configuration will already know what an IP address looks
like.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Anthony's Law of Force: Don't force it, get a larger hammer.