Re: Recent console-setup uploads, D-I Bullseye Alpha 3

Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> (2020-12-01):
> Since changes are mostly about metadata, I'm tempted to fast-track this
> update into testing so that we have fewer languages getting the “this
> translation isn't complete, you might see some English” warning.
>
> I'll be double-checking the resulting binaries once they have been built
> on the buildds (I was getting subtle differences locally, which I think
> might just be a matter of local environment generating small disturbances
> in the resulting binaries: some ordering, and what looks to be a umask
> setting).
>
> Would that look like a reasonable course of action to you?
>

> And since I'm considering getting an updated console-setup into testing, I
> might try and squeeze the latest linux update into that release as well,
> provided it's otherwise ready to migrate when it reaches 5/5 days.

Comparing all binaries with debdiff, I'm seeing the expected l10n-related
changes, plus a version variation related to version (strict dependencies)
or a few bytes in Installed-Size. Actual contents, once extracted in a
subdirectory (e.g. with `for x in *deb; do dpkg -x $x root; done`), look
entirely identical.

That means I would feel comfortable with hurrying it up into testing; I'm
still happily taking second opinions here. :)

In passing, console-setup looks like its whole build system could do with
some serious facelift, and there are a number of things reported by
lintian as well (including errors); but I'll stick to my end goal for the
moment: getting a new alpha out the door. :)

Cheers,