Re: Avoiding low-memory warning in preseed mode

On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 at 02:11, Fred Boiteux <fbpros@free.fr> wrote:

Previously, I wrote:
> > I do not know the answer, but I can tell you what I would try:
> >
> > d-i lowmem/low boolean true
> > d-i lowmem/insufficient boolean true

I now think that my advice there was wrong.

> > You can see the sentences in the code here:
> > https://sources.debian.org/src/lowmem/1.47/debian/lowmemcheck.templates/

The exact error message that you provided confirms that
the relevant code in that file is this:

"""
Template: lowmem/low
Type: note
# Note: not translatable, runs before language is chosen
 This system has relatively little free memory, so it will enter
 low memory mode. Among other things, this means that this program
 will proceed in English. You should set up swap space as soon as possible.
"""

> > I showed "true" as an example. But I can't know if you
> > need "true" or "false" because it depends
> > which button in the dialog is the one you want.

I now think this is wrong advice. Because the above code
says "Type: note" not "Type: boolean"

So I tried to learn more about Type: note.

At https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Preseed#Notes I found two
relevant advices:
Be aware there is only one space in preseed files between subkey and
value on "owner key/subkey value" lines.
Look in debconf-devel(7) in the debconf-doc package for more docs
about d-i and debian-installer preseed questions.

In 'man 7 debconf-devel' I read about Type: note

Searching the web for example use of Type: note,
I found https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Enterprise/WorkstationAutoinstallPreseed
which contains
"""
# Avoid that last message about the install being complete.
d-i finish-install/reboot_in_progress note
"""

which is the same technique as what you tried in your first message,
so it is strange that it does not work in your use case.

I could not find any other documentation on how to handle this
situation. So I apologise for wasting your time. As I mentioned
I'm still a newbie in this area, but I hope to learn by engaging
and discussing things that I don't yet understand. Maybe someone
else knows how to handle this situation, or can confirm that it's
buggy if it works in that Ubuntu situation but does not work in your
situation.