Re: installation guide [Was: Re: Change templates: CD -> installation medium - proposal #2 ]

Justin B Rye wrote:
> I was planning to carry on and find all the other places where fixes
> are needed, but I'll have to come back to it.

I had got as far as:
 (en/using-d-i/modules/apt-setup.xml:)
 - If you do scan multiple CDs or DVDs, the installer will prompt you to
 - exchange them when it needs packages from another CD/DVD than the one
 - currently in the drive. Note that only CDs or DVDs that belong to the
 + If you do scan multiple installation media, the installer will prompt you to
 + exchange them when it needs packages from another media than the one
 + currently in the drive. Note that only discs that belong to the

No, "another media than [this] one" is the singular usage that doesn't
work.  But most of this is redundant anyway - just say

   If you do scan multiple installation media, the installer will prompt you
   to exchange them when it needs packages from one that isn't
   currently in the drive. Note that only discs that belong to the

 (en/using-d-i/modules/apt-setup.xml:)
   If you are <emphasis>not</emphasis> installing from a full CD or DVD or
 - using a full CD/DVD image, you really should use a network mirror as
 + a corresponding image, you really should use a network mirror as

Here and later, what's the point of distinguishing these two cases?
If you're installing from a "full" CD or DVD, doesn't that
automatically mean you're using "a full CD/DVD image"?  If so, that's
the only case that needs to be mentioned - it could be just

   If you are <emphasis>not</emphasis> installing from a full CD/DVD
   image, you really should use a network mirror as

 [...]
 - If you are installing from a DVD or using a DVD image, any packages needed
 - during the installation should be present on the first DVD. The same is true
 - if you have scanned multiple CDs as explained in the previous section. Use
 + If you are installing from a DVD or the corresponding image, any packages needed
 + during the installation should be present on the first DVD (image). The same is true
 + if you have scanned multiple CD (images) as explained in the previous section. Use
   of a network mirror is optional.

This seems incoherent.  If you're installing from *a* DVD, singular,
those packages had better be on the first DVD, because there isn't a
second one!  For this to make any sense it has to be talking about DVD
images, plural.  And then the phrasing "multiple CD (images)" doesn't
work; but why is it repeating itself like this anyway?  Why isn't this
whole paragraph just:

   If you are using CD/DVD images, the packages needed during installation
   should be on the first one. Use of a network mirror is optional.

 (en/using-d-i/modules/network-console.xml:)
   otherwise invoke the main installation menu and choose <guimenuitem>Load
 - installer components from CD</guimenuitem> and from the list of
 + installer components from installation media</guimenuitem> and from the list of

I hope you've checked that the menu will offer this changed phrasing...

  (en/using-d-i/using-d-i.xml:)
   Anna's Not Nearly APT. Installs packages which have been retrieved
 - from the chosen mirror or CD.
 + from the chosen mirror or installation medium.

If by "CD" it means "individual chunk of storage space" then that
isn't "medium", it's "item of media".  Could it be in fact be "media",
plural, or would it be simpler to move in the direction of vagueness:

   from the chosen source,

Don't forget if all this gets dealt with you can close bug #794936,
leaving only #795944 and #796662 in the set of major problems to be
got out of the way first before it's worth thinking about doing a
general proofreading sweep...