Re: Growing the size of e2fsprogs-udeb by ~150k

Hi,

Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> (2019-07-09):
> I'm planning on simplifying e2fsprogs's debian/rules file, and one of
> the ways I've been thinking about doing this is to stop doing a second
> build just for e2fsprogs-udeb.  The main difference has been disabling
> features not needed for the installer, such as gettext/NLS (which is
> responsible for most of the 145k difference).
>
> Colin suggested that I send a quick note to debian-boot to make sure
> this isn't going to be problematic.  Do you think this is going to be
> an issue.  (BTW, there has been size creep in e2fsprogs-udebs over the
> years; e2fpsrogs-udeb has grown by ~140k beween Debian Jessie and
> Debian Buster.)

Thanks for letting us know.

I haven't follow arch-specific constraints in a while (hello, armel),
but I don't think this should be an issue. Worst case, I suppose we can
submit a patch against e2fsprogs once it's been dh-ified to get the
double build back, should that be absolutely needed?

Cheers,