Re: Very time consuming install process for the Debian 10 / buster xfce amd64 cd in virtualbox running on mageia 7 x86-64

Hi,

On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 23:16:16 +0200
Geert Stappers <stappers@stappers.nl> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 10:33:57PM +0300, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I get a Very time consuming install process for the Debian 10 / buster xfce
> > amd64 cd in virtualbox running on mageia 7 x86-64. It took me over 30
> > minutes just to inst the basesystem, and the total is now over an hour:
> >
> > *
> > https://www.shlomifish.org/Files/files/images/debian-buster-xfce-cd-amd64--slow-install--sshot.webp
> >
> > *
> > https://www.shlomifish.org/Files/files/images/debian-buster-xfce-cd-amd64--slow-install--sshot--2.webp
> >
> > I use the core i3 box here:
> > https://www.shlomifish.org/meta/FAQ/#computers-specs
> >
> > for comparison, installing mageia 7 classic installer took 30 minutes,
> > installing manjaro took a few minutes, and fedora and linux mint installed
> > fairly quickly.
> >

> Seen the report, not seen the   .webp  videos.

They are static image screenshots - not videos. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebP .

> What I would like to see,
> is more information how the measurement was done.
>
> e.g.
> * How busy was the host

It was running kde plasma 5 in startx, but otherwise had a lot of free RAM and
non-busy cores/CPUs. The system became a little unresponsive at times during
the install.

> * Which apt / yum  mirrors where used

None - they were a completely non-networked installs - local .iso only.

> * Further hints from original poster what could cause the time
>   consumption

No idea. Note that after the installation has completed, the debian system on
the vm was functional and responsive and I was able to configure it and install
my settings ( https://github.com/shlomif/shlomif-computer-settings/ ).

> Done

Thanks!