Re: [preseed] strings waiting to be made translatable

[Putting Christian in CC, since he did commits on this in 2016, and he knows
the workflow]

Hi,

Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Holger Wansing <linux@wansing-online.de> (2018-06-24):
> > I just found two strings in the templates.pot file for preseed, which
> > seem to be added in a rush, but made non-translatable at that time:
>
> Right, this matches my recollection of this feature's addition…
>
> > We should make them translatable now, right?
> > Now that Stretch is out since some days ... ;-)
>
> That makes sense, yeah.
>
> Thanks for noticing. This really should have been tracked in a more
> serious manner than just a comment in the source files…

Looking into this, I'm unsure how the status is:

In d-i repo (packages/preseed/debian/preseed-common.templates)
we have

	Template: preseed/checksum_error
	Type: error
	# Translators : DO NOT TRANSLATE variable names : ALGORITHM, LOCATION
	# and CHECKSUM
	# :sl2:
	 The ${ALGORITHM} checksum of the file retrieved from <${LOCATION}> fails
	 to match the expected value of "${CHECKSUM}". The file may be corrupt,
	 or the provided checksums may be out of date.

In the master po files, the strings are included in sublevel 1,
packages/po/sublevel1/templates.pot has:

	#. Type: error
	#. Description
	#. XXX: should be made translatable after Stretch
	#: ../preseed-common.templates:1001
	msgid "Checksum error"
	msgstr ""

	#. Type: error
	#. Description
	#. XXX: should be made translatable after Stretch
	#: ../preseed-common.templates:1001
	msgid ""
	"The ${ALGORITHM} checksum of the file retrieved from <${LOCATION}> fails to "
	"match the expected value of \"${CHECKSUM}\".  The file may be corrupt, or "
	"the provided checksums may be out of date."
	msgstr ""

But the strings are marked as XXX

And two old commits from 2016 onto the preseed package
https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/preseed/commit/a4d54b54845ccf2165edda16b699e7822f986de2
and
https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/preseed/commit/a4d54b54845ccf2165edda16b699e7822f986de2
mention, that the new strings should be in sublevel2 (sl2).
Indeed, the second commit by bubulle adds the strings to sublevel2.

So, are the strings active and set as translatable, or not?
And in which sublevel?

I'm curious how this works together...

Holger

Created with Sylpheed 3.5.1 under
	D E B I A N   L I N U X   9   " S T R E T C H " .