Re: Boot Order

On 02/24/2018 06:49 PM, Dan Norton wrote:
On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 14:18:13 -0600
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

On 02/24/2018 01:59 PM, Dan Norton wrote:
[snip]

In my case, there are multiple debian installations and the
installer positions the last installation at the top of the *grub*
menu. This makes sense.

Not always. I'm continually doing installs, tweaking them in one way
or another. The last install is the one most likely to "crash and
burn". I solve the problem by having grub installed ONLY on first
partition of my ONLY hard disk. I'd love to see an os-prober which
created menu entries in partition number order.

With your many installs, have you needed to edit the bios menu so that
you could boot something mountable? IOW is debian first in the boot
order?

I have older machines. I only encounter a so-called legacy bios.
E.G. I type this on a Lenovo T510.

IOW I never deal with a "UEFI" bios, only a "Legacy" bios.

But independent of that, Debian annoyingly presumes that most recent install is Nirvana.

*NOT* true.

I.E. During a "Cold Boot" it prompts me to press the "Blue Thinkvantage" button to bring up a choice of boot devices. My Lenovo desktop asks me to press "Enter/Return" at a similar point in the boot sequence.

I was explicitly referring to how Grub2 handles searching for boot-able OS since Squeeze.