Re: Boot Order

On 02/24/2018 01:59 PM, Dan Norton wrote:
[snip]

In my case, there are multiple debian installations and the installer
positions the last installation at the top of the *grub* menu. This
makes sense.

Not always. I'm continually doing installs, tweaking them in one way or another. The last install is the one most likely to "crash and burn". I solve the problem by having grub installed ONLY on first partition of my ONLY hard disk. I'd love to see an os-prober which created menu entries in partition number order.

But why change the *bios* menu? With the variability in
manufacturers bios code, changing the bios menu seems like a risky,
tricky, and tedious undertaking. AFAICT it's instigated by the
installer and presumably a necessary thing. I've searched for the
rationale, but have missed it, if it's out there. Can you refer me to
something?

But as far as I am aware, the relative priority of boot entries on
removable vs hard drives is solely controlled by the BIOS/UEFI
firmware.

That just doesn't seem logical. There was a perfectly good priority,
before installs of Debian, I think it went:

UEFI Boot Sources
   ATAPI CD/DVD Drive
   USB Floppy/CD
   Hard Drive
   USB Hard Drive
Legacy Boot Sources
   ATAPI CD/DVD Drive
   USB Floppy/CD
   Hard Drive
     SATA0

After installing stretch, it changed to:

UEFI Boot Sources
   debian
   ATAPI CD/DVD Drive
   USB Floppy/CD
   USB Hard Drive
Legacy Boot Sources
   [...]

If done by firmware, wouldn't grub or the installer have to tell
the firmware to put "debian" in the bios menu and make it first? In its
past life, this PC ran Windows 7 but in order to boot from mountable
media there was no need for the user to change the boot order.

  - Dan