Re: Where can I find out more regarding debian-mac-testing-amd64-netinst.iso

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 08:49:04PM -0800, Colin Williams wrote:
> Hello,

Welcome,

> I've been given a recent macbook at work and have been trying to install
> linux on it. I run debian on my personal thinkpad. Anyhow I downloaded the
> weekly debian-mac-testing-amd64-netinst.iso and wrote it to a thumb drive
> using dd. However it doesn't boot. This same approach has booted other
> devices.
>
> There isn't really any information regarding the
> debian-mac-testing-amd64-netinst.iso image. Is this the appropriate image
> and should I be able to write it using dd say from my linux desktop? If so
> is there another reason why it doesn't show up on the mac? Is there
> documentation or a maintainer to discuss with?
>
> I hit option at boot but don't see it, and other isos have showed up when I
> tried this.

So all the parts of the puzzle are present, still it isn't complete yet.

Over here no macbook. So hands-on expirence with the mentioned hardware.

Thing the original poster could do:

* Share the download URL
* See if there is checksum for the ISO on the website
* Verify the download with the checksum

* cat /path/to/debian-mac-testing-amd64-netinst.iso > /dev/sdx
 that is an alternative for `dd plus parameters`,  '/dev/sdx' is the thumb drive

* try again

* State the exact model of the macbook. Year of production might also help.

With the reported feedback would be possible for macbook owners to reproduce it.
Knowing if it boots is enough, no need to do an install.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Leven en laten leven