Re: RFC: Switching guided partitioning to LVM by default?

On Sat, Aug 05, 2017 at 04:06:49PM -0400, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While preparing some slides for my ???News from the Debian Installer??? talk
> at DebConf17, it occured to me that we might want to reconsider the
> default here:
>
>     Guided - use a whole disk
>     Guided - use a whole disk with LVM
>     Guided - use a whole disk with encrypted LVM
>     Manual
>
> Current default is the first entry, and I think we should switch to
> second one, with LVM.
>
> If the user doesn't need to touch anything, that doesn't change much; if
> the user wants to change partitioning afterwards, LVM's flexibility is
> available.
>
> Is anyone aware of any drawbacks of switching to LVM by default?

When we take LVM as default (which is fine for me)
then we should have the courage to have free PE.
So not assign all diskspace.
Advantages:
 * user gets the benefit of LVM: assigning space to a file system
 * quicker install ( no formatting/mkfs of whole disk )
 * no need to shrink /home so space can be used for /srv
Disavantage, in theory:
 * user might miss disk space

Groeten
Geert Stappers