Re: RFC: Switching guided partitioning to LVM by default?

On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 2:06 PM, Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:
Hi,

While preparing some slides for my “News from the Debian Installer” talk
at DebConf17, it occured to me that we might want to reconsider the
default here:

    Guided - use a whole disk
    Guided - use a whole disk with LVM
    Guided - use a whole disk with encrypted LVM
    Manual

Current default is the first entry, and I think we should switch to
second one, with LVM.

If the user doesn't need to touch anything, that doesn't change much; if
the user wants to change partitioning afterwards, LVM's flexibility is
available.

Is anyone aware of any drawbacks of switching to LVM by default?

It makes it harder to share partitions with other operating systems in a dual boot setup, particularly a fat32 partition with windows is problematic, so nothing that matters.

Actually in all seriousness, other than the dual boot issue doing a guided partitioning then changing things like deleting a partition is not well supported by the installer. It is seldom a problem for me these days as I preseed everything.

KiBi.

Ben Hildred
Automation Support Services