Re: Debian-Installer gets stuck at selecting mirror

(Adding tbm to the loop explicitly since he's the QNAP master.)

Hi,

Mekeor Melire <mekeor.melire@gmail.com> (2017-04-08):
> I'm trying to install Debian-Armel/Kirkwood on a Qnap TS-119P+. I've
> been following this guide:
>
>      http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/ts-119/install/
>
> Following that guide, I tried the images from:
>
>     http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-armel/current/images/kirkwood/network-console/qnap/ts-119
>
> but I also tried these:
>
>     https://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/armel/daily/kirkwood/network-console/qnap/ts-11x/
>
> After flashing and rebooting, the installer gets stuck at the step where
> I have to select the mirror. When I press <return> to select a mirror,
> for a very short time, like some milliseconds, the next step appears,
> but then it goes back to the same step of selecting the mirror. As a
> consequence I'm currently not able to install Debian on that device.
>
> These are two /var/log/syslog's:
>
>       http://sprunge.us/FdOX
>       http://sprunge.us/BYXM

It's always better to attach your logs directly (even if that sometimes
means having to compress them).

> I guess this is the interesting part:
>
>     main-menu[1395]: DEBUG: resolver (libgcc1): package doesn't exist (ignored)
>     main-menu[1395]: INFO: Menu item 'choose-mirror' selected
>     anna-install: Queueing udeb apt-mirror-setup for later installation
>     main-menu[1395]: INFO: Menu item 'choose-mirror' succeeded but requested to be left unconfigured.
>     main-menu[1395]: DEBUG: resolver (libgcc1): package doesn't exist (ignored)
>     main-menu[1395]: INFO: Menu item 'choose-mirror' selected
>     main-menu[1395]: INFO: Menu item 'choose-mirror' succeeded but requested to be left unconfigured.
>     main-menu[1395]: DEBUG: resolver (libgcc1): package doesn't exist (ignored)
>     main-menu[1395]: INFO: Menu item 'choose-mirror' selected
>     main-menu[1395]: INFO: Menu item 'choose-mirror' succeeded but requested to be left unconfigured.
>     main-menu[1395]: DEBUG: resolver (libgcc1): package doesn't exist (ignored)
>     main-menu[1395]: INFO: Menu item 'di-utils-shell' selected

I think that's the first time I'm seeing this “succeeded but requested
to be left unconfigured” status, not sure what's causing this.

> I'm guessing this issue could be related to the old bugs #834383 and
> #833432.

This seems highly unlikely; those appeared during the stretch release
cycle and were a clear regression in a particular upload of this
component. Not something that would be happening in stable (jessie); and
you would see a clear segfault in your logs.

KiBi.