Re: [RFC] Call for review of GNU/screen support for D-I (was Re: Merge orion5x/kirkwood to flavour marvell and marvell-qnap)

On May 21, 2016, at 3:05 AM, Roger Shimizu <rogershimizu@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I didn’t try disconnecting, letting it run for a while un-attended, then reconnecting because I didn’t have a clear idea of how to do that. Specifically, what happens if I type ctl-A ctl-D?  Do I get disconnected from just the one window or all four of them?  If I get disconnected from all of them, what will I find myself talking to?  Is it an interactive shell that I can re-connect to the running disconnected screen by typing
>>   “screen -R”
>> or something else?
>>
>> If I’m disconnected, can I drop the “cu” connection without causing havoc to the running install?  If I later re-instate the “cu”, what happens then? Do I automatically get my screen session back again, or is there something I need to do to to make that happen?
>
> Resume when re-connecting is mainly for network-console (via SSH).
> "screen -r" is done by debian-installer, user don't need anything extra.
>
>> These are all experiments I could have done during the install, but I refrained because I wanted to verify that there weren’t any difficulties associated with simply running the installer inside screen.  Next time I get a few hours, I’ll try installing again and experiment with dis-/re-connecting.

As you say, disconnecting and re-connecting are things that make more sense with the ssh network-console.  I’ll give that a try next time I feel adventurous and have a couple of hours to kill experimenting!

> I really appreciate you helping to confirm it working on other devices
> than I have on hand.

No problem!  It’s always fun trying out a new and useful feature.