Re: [RFC] Call for review of GNU/screen support for D-I (was Re: Merge orion5x/kirkwood to flavour marvell and marvell-qnap)

On May 8, 2016, at 10:50 AM, Roger Shimizu <rogershimizu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 4:13 AM, Rick Thomas <rbthomas@pobox.com> wrote:
>>>>
>> OK, I think I get it now.  This would make the serial console
>> installation functionally much closer to the "normal" install (e.g.
>> desktop machine with video console).  The ability to pick up and resume
>> a dropped session is an added bonus.
>>
>> As I said, I'll be happy to help test it.
>
> I made a local armel build supporting GNU/screen, and uploaded all
> files to my g/drive:
>  https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzkkBTJUgwbhTldTd18yTFZCQ2s#list
>
> (there're only two local built udeb file in localudebs/ folder:
> libtinfo5-udeb_6.0+20160319-2_armel.udeb
> screen-udeb_4.3.1-4_armel.udeb
> so this will be official after these two packages get uploaded.)
>
> So you can have a test on your armel devices.
> For devices originally use "netboot" image, please use "netboot/screen" image;
> for devices originally use "network-console" image, please use
> "network-screen" image.
>
> You should get GNU/screen started when you connect via serial console or SSH.
> You can switch windows by "Ctrl-A [1-4]". (press Ctrl-A, release both
> keys, and press the window number)
> All operation is exact same as normal GNU/screen usage.
>
> If you have any question or suggestion, just feel free to let me know.
> Thank you!
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Roger Shimizu, GMT +9 Tokyo
> PGP/GPG: 17B3ACB1

Thanks, Roger!

I’ll give it a try on one of my sheevaplug boxes.

As I understand it, I will follow the instructions on Martin’s page at
    https://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/install/
using the uImage and uInitrd files from your page at
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzkkBTJUgwbhdjJqY1ZjY2xWem8&tid=0BzkkBTJUgwbhTldTd18yTFZCQ2s#list

Is that correct?
Rick