Question prompted by [Re: Should apt-transport-https be Priority: Important ? (Re: own cloud task in tasksel?)]

On 3/17/2016 8:22 AM, Marco d'Itri wrote:
On Mar 17, Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:
[snip]

main reason for wanting HTTPS support by default.  Are you suggesting that the
benefit is too small compared to the disadvantage of having slightly larger
size for cloud images that contain all the packages of "Important" priority ?
The common deployment model for this kind of cloud services is to
install the software on the new instance using some kind of
orchestration system (ansible, puppet, etc).
So everything which is not required to begin the first installation of
other packages is superfluous.
"Important" is a label that was invented for human-managed servers and
I do not believe that it is relevant anymore in this context.

I have not followed this thread closely as I have no significant contact with "the cloud".

However I do have an interest in "minimal" installs - "minimal" having vague definitions. As a working definition I take the point of view likely held by those working on embedded systems when they were slow and resource constrained. My problem with priority designations in the current installer(s) is they are too strongly tied to the concept once expressed as "what facility would _everybody_ expect in _any_ system".

My question "Are there key words that I should search for to get current ideas for useable small installs?"
TIA