Re: Should apt-transport-https be Priority: Important ? (Re: own cloud task in tasksel?)

On Mar 17, Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:

> have you followed the part of the discussion related to privacy ?  This is the
Yes: I agree that if somebody has a privacy fetish then TOR is the
correct solution since packages can still be identified by traffic
analisys.

> main reason for wanting HTTPS support by default.  Are you suggesting that the
> benefit is too small compared to the disadvantage of having slightly larger
> size for cloud images that contain all the packages of "Important" priority ?
The common deployment model for this kind of cloud services is to
install the software on the new instance using some kind of
orchestration system (ansible, puppet, etc).
So everything which is not required to begin the first installation of
other packages is superfluous.
"Important" is a label that was invented for human-managed servers and
I do not believe that it is relevant anymore in this context.

--
ciao,
Marco