Re: Screen support (was: Next d-i alpha release: late June)

Hi Ben,

and thanks for your input.

Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> (2016-08-15):
> I think that all builds of the installer should provide the same
> functionality so far as possible

ACK, looks good to me.

>                                  and that the options to switch to a
> shell and to view the log are important functionality.  Therefore,
> remote interfaces (serial, SSH) should invoke the installer front-end
> in screen, perhaps with an opt-out available through a command line
> parameter.

That too. It seems to me the features you mentioned (shell, log viewing)
are already there in text & graphical modes, so no point in running d-i
within screen there; let's do that only where it's needed. That would
also take care of my objections regarding UI changes.

The opt-out through a command line parameter can be implemented once the
core issue is resolved.

> However I don't think that there should be any change to which
> interfaces are enabled by default, as that could create a security
> issue.  For builds that previously provided only a local interface,
> any remote interface should be opt-in.

I'm not familiar with all variants in this area but I like the general
idea.

Waiting for Philipp and Axel to {,dis}agree.

KiBi.