Re: Screen support (was: Next d-i alpha release: late June)

Rick Thomas <rbthomas@pobox.com> writes:

> On Aug 14, 2016, at 7:37 PM, Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> Also, I'm not sure whether we have any input methods which might be
>> confused by ^A being “eaten” by screen. Does anyone know?
>
> Yes… That’s a problem if you’re used to using “screen” as a terminal
> emulator to access the serial port on the target machine.  When
> testing this, I had to use “cu” to connect to the serial port of my
> SheevaPlug for this reason.  Normally, I use screen for that.  It woke
> that way, incidentally, so it’s not a show-stopper, just worth
> mentioning.

You don't actually need to resort to cu in that case, since you can
type ``Ctrl-A a'' to send a Ctrl-A to the remote end.

If you find that too cumbersome, you can redefine screen's escape
character, either on the command line (-e) or with the escape command
via screen's command line mode (entered via Ctrl-A :), at which point
you can issue, e.g.:

   escape ^Bb

which defines the control character to be Ctrl-B instead (as used by
tmux, which I greatly prefer because my fingers are used to being able
to use Ctrl-A for jumping to the start of the line)

If you wanted to make that change at the remote end, you'd use:

   Ctrl-A a :

to get to the remote screen's command line, instead.

> Rick

Cheers, Phil.