Re: does anybody remember which debian release was it that asked for the MAC ID details at the end ?

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 01:45:58AM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
> Not me.
> And I think there was never such bug as asking for MAC details from the User.

I have certainly never seen it, and don't recall any such thing in any
installer I have used since 2.0.

> In https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=295888 is
> an user request asking _showing_ MAC address. Quoting the BR:
>
> |  Primary network interface:
> |  eth0: BROADCOM Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704 Gigabit Ethernet
> |  eth1: BROADCOM Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704 Gigabit Ethernet
> |
> |  The user has no chance to select the right network interface.
> |  At least the MAC address should be displayed.
>

> The installation would continue without tricks
> just by picking an I/F.

That I can certainly believe, which would have been a hassle for those
affected by it.

> > I am in midst of making a presentation hence need that historical
> > information for accuracy.
>
> Was there ever the bug as the original poster described?

I don't think so.  I can't think of a reason the installer would ever
ask for the MAC, unless you are talking some odd ball ARM hardware that
didn't have a MAC in hardware and required the user to provide one.
But would Debian have even had an installer for such a thing?

Searching the bug database for bugs mentioning mac in the subject (which I
would hope anyone submitting a bug about such a problem would have used)
against debian-installer and boot-floppies, I see nothing what so ever
that as anything like this in archived and unarchived bugs.

--
Len Sorensen