Improving i18n/l10n reliability

Hi Christian,

I'm seeing a new batch of commits fixing po files in various git
repositories. Given this seems to be a recurring issue, and given the
totally missed issues in cdebconf for a long time (which triggered this
thread on debian-l10n-french@ hours ago[1]), I would like to suggest
that we take a step back and rethink how things are working.

 1. https://lists.debian.org/debian-l10n-french/2016/07/msg00007.html

We have at least calc-l10n-release which doesn't catch errors in
commands it runs, and I suspect error handling could be improved in
various other parts of the i18n/l10n framework.

Could you please open up bug reports against d-i.debian.org when you
encounter issues, so that we can fix tools, so as to avoid repetitive
work on your side (plus get early detection of issues)?

KiBi.