Re: Merge orion5x/kirkwood to flavour marvell and marvell-qnap

[Add a few people ever expressed interest in GNU/screen for d-i work]

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 7:50 AM, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> wrote:
> * Roger Shimizu <rogershimizu@gmail.com> [2016-04-12 00:48]:
>> I was about to write a list on pros and cons, but I only find pros,
>> with some reasons/explanation.
>>
>> - Main purpose is to get ready for screen support, which surely cannot
>> fit into qnap's image.
>
> Sorry for being unclear: I have no objections to introducing the -qnap
> or -tiny image.  I can see why this makes sense.
>
> But you also merge the orion5x and kirkwood images into marvell images
> and I see a number of downsides with that (and no obvious advantages).
>
> Can you leave orion5x and kirkwood alone and introduce an
> orion5x-qnap, without converting everything to marvell, or do you see
> any advantages of combining orion5x and kirkwood into marvell?  (If
> there are advantages, please let me know.)

Thanks for your feedback!

I have a new idea which don't need to touch current orion5x/kirkwood anymore.

It introduces two new targets:
 - netboot-screen, which add screen-udeb to previous netboot target
 - network-screen, which add screen-udeb to previous network-console target
 - previous netboot and network-console target is kept as it is

So qnap images are only removed from armel/orion5x/network-screen.cfg,
due to size issue.
But it still exists in armel/orion5x/network-console.cfg.

I have push the change to branch "netboot-screen" [5].

I don't have experience other than i386/amd64/armel, so for other
ARCHs, I need other's help review and test.
I plan to
 - collect feedback of code review before screen-udeb [1] and its
dependency [2] get released. Both of the package are tagged as
"pending", so I expect them to be released within 2-4 weeks.
 - modify the change [5] based on review feedback, and push it to
master so we can check daily builds are fine for all ARCHs
 - ask users of all ARCHs related to check whether the GNU/screen is
working well under d-i environment. Maybe need to add a wiki to track
things efficiently.

What do you think of my plan?
Any suggestion is appreciated. Thank you!

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/819988
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/819397
[5] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/d-i/debian-installer.git/commit/?h=netboot-screen&id=302f5f

Cheers,