Re: netinst image on USB stick asks for cdrom

On Fri, 2015-04-17 at 09:41 +0200, Thomas Koch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I took todays (2015-04-16 18:20) daily Jessie netinstaller build[1], copied
> the image to an USB stick[2] and started the installation.
>
> At the "Partition disks" step the installer asked me:
>
> "/media/cdrom/:Please insert the disc labeled: 'Debian GNU/Linux Jessie-DI-rc1
> _Jessie_ - Official RC amd64 NETINST Binary-1 2015-01-09-01:04' in the drive
> '/media/cdrom/' and press enter.

You have an April 16th image but it is asking for rc1?  Isn't that a bit
strange?

> Media change
> <Go Back>         <Continue>"
>
> Neither "Go Back" nor "Continue" got me away from this screen.
>
> I checked the installation manual. It says in 4.3.1 paragraph one[3] that the
> netinst image could also be used for USB installation.
>
> The problem seems to be present for a longer time[4] and not related to this
> particular daily build?

That forum post has someone using 'Universal-USB-Installer' to mangle
the ISO image.  Not the right way to put it on a USB stick.

> I have never had this problem with a CD or DVD image on an USB stick. An
> easy workaround might be to put a warning about netinst images in the
> installation manual?

No because netinst images generally work on USB sticks.

[...]
> [2] sudo cp *.iso /dev/sdb
[...]

Why *.iso?  Are you sure this matched only one file?

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
If you seem to know what you are doing, you'll be given more to do.