Re: Install report with UEFI Debian CD on HP elitebook 840 G1

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 09:35:30AM -0500, Jean Privat wrote:
>> Hmmm, sounds like a BIOS/firmware bug if you need to add that custom
>> boot method - UEFI boot option registration should work without
>> that.
>
>After the install, the computer booted to windows. Using the bios
>bootmenu (F9) the default option is "OS Boot Manager" that boots
>windows. But "debian" is present in the menu at the last position and
>selecting it successfully boot debian.
>
>In the bios setup (F10), in the boot option menu, I can change the
>order of the boot options but there is no "debian" present in the list
>: only "OS Boot Manager", a lot of hardware boot option like "USD Hard
>Drive" or "SD Card", the last option is "Customized Boot".
>
>So I just moved "Customized Boot" to the first place and give it the
>value recommended by
>https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/HP/EliteBook%20840%20G1
>
>> Also: you've tried my unofficial Jessie development image - is
>> that because the standard images didn't work, or is this just the
>> first image you tried?
>
>I tried first a daily USB image from
>http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/amd64/daily/
>
>But:
>
>* I had to use "UEFI Hybrid (With CSM)" (instead of  "UEFI Boot only
>(Without CSM)") so that the bios can see the USB key
>* The install was successful but it seems that the grub install
>silently failed since, after the reboot, there was no "debian" (or any
>new option) in the boot menu
>* I retried the USB key in rescue mode, so I can force-install grub
>manually but it failed (I do not remember the error message) and the
>grub-efi version did not work either because no EFI (no
>/sys/firmware/efi/ ). It is possible that the bios option "UEFI Hybrid
>(With CSM)" hides the EFI to the installer

Yes, that sounds like the problem. You've ended up booting in BIOS
mode, so the installer can't do any EFI things at all. Roughly when
did you try this daily image? In the last month or so, or older than
that?

>* Seeing that the installer did not like the EFI, I remembered
>http://blog.einval.com/2015/01/11#Jessie-EFI_5 and just tried the
>proposed image
>* I reseted the bios to "UEFI Boot only (Without CSM)" and the bios
>showed the new USB key, so could retry the install.

OK, that's very odd. You've booted using 64-bit grub-efi. But the new
image *shouldn't* be showing any differences there! Can you test
something else for me please? What does

  # cat /sys/firmware/efi/fw_platform_size

say on the installed system, please?

Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky,
Tongue-tied & twisted, Just an earth-bound misfit, I...