Re: Install report with UEFI Debian CD on HP elitebook 840 G1

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 04:05:15PM -0500, Jean Privat wrote:
>Hi,

Hi Jean,

>I just received a new laptop so naturally I installed Debian on it.

*grin* Of course!

>My steps:
>
>* on the elitebook, update the bios firmware trough the bios setup
>* on an other computer, dd the image from
>http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/efi-development/jessie-upload2/
>on a USB stick
>* the USB stick appears in the list of boot options (F9). Note that
>the computer is in pure uefi without CSM emulation
>* install Debian from the usbstick. Everything seems to be recognized
>(except wifi that need a non-free firmware)
>* on reboot, `debian` now appears on the boot options (F9)
>* in the bios setup, configure "custom boot method" with path
>"\EFI\debian\grubx64.efi". Also, change the boot order so "custom boot
>method" is the first choice

Hmmm, sounds like a BIOS/firmware bug if you need to add that custom
boot method - UEFI boot option registration should work without
that. Also: you've tried my unofficial Jessie development image - is
that because the standard images didn't work, or is this just the
first image you tried?

Cheers,
"I can't ever sleep on planes ... call it irrational if you like, but I'm
 afraid I'll miss my stop" -- Vivek Dasmohapatra