Re: unable to finish debian-installer

On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 05:19:36PM +0000, Anthony F McInerney wrote:
> Ok just for those following this, i've downloaded the winloader from
> the location given, popped a virtualboxVM up with windows 2000 sp4.
> 196MB ram, 6gb hdd, and installed debian Wheezy in normal mode just
> fine.

Okay.

This is from the original posting:

   I went into chroot /target and installed aptitude, the kernel and
   grup-pc, but grub-install failed, because of no devices present.

My guess is that in the chroot the mount command will *not* show
 sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
 proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
 udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=10240k,nr_inodes=62683,mode=755)
 devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)

My advices is to exit the chroot, mount at least /dev in /target/dev
and re-enter the /target chroot.

My websearch on 'mount -t /dev/ /target/dev' did bring me to
 https://www.reox.at/apu1c/ where you read
   mount -o bind /dev/ /target/dev
in context.

Feel free to rapport your milage.