Re: More tasks option in Tasksel: what tasks do you want there? (reloaded)

On 09/09/2014 06:21 AM, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 11:15 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>
>> <sum-up>
>> It's looking like some of the options are confusing for both advanced
>> users and newbies. The technologies behind the tasks are hidden, and
>> there's no obvious way to know what will happen (other than looking at
>> the package source of tasksel in debian/control). For example:
>>
>> - database-server: commonly one would expect MySQL, and postgress gets
>> installed
>
> Isn't tasksel for people with no expectations?

Without explanation, "SQL Database" isn't useful. There's no case where
you want "any" database server to be installed.

> People who know
> something about the technology they are looking for will install the
> relevant packages instead of following tasksel recommendations.

Which is why IMO this option should either go away, or tell which type
of db server will be installed. I'd be for the former.

Thomas Goirand (zigo)