Re: Build squeeze debian-installer with 3.2 kernel from backports

On Fri, 2014-09-05 at 09:05 +0200, gianluca wrote:
> On 09/04/2014 06:14 PM, Holger Levsen wrote:
> >> Anyway I'm obliged to install squeeze because the software stack I will use
> >> has not been ported and tested on wheezy yet.
> >

> As far as I remember udev (squeeze based) will not work with a kernel
> 3.2 as a deeply changes in ioctl in the kernel API.
> Maybe you will need a newer udev too...

You remember wrongly.

> The revert is true: if you will use a 2.6.36 kernel in a Wheezy distro,
> udev simply fail so any other script which need devpts, shm, and other
> delights... In few words ALMOST EVERYTHING IS BROKEN.

So far as I am aware, this is not true for Debian's kernel packages.

The last time we had a udev/kernel incompatibility across releases was
between lenny and squeeze:
https://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#upgrading-udev

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Experience is directly proportional to the value of equipment destroyed.