Re: task-desktop: default desktop environment for Jessie

On Sun, Jun 02, 2013 at 07:36:35PM +0100, Brian Potkin wrote:
> On Fri 31 May 2013 at 15:11:50 -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> > > Michael Gilbert <mgilbert@debian.org> (31/05/2013):

> > > A somewhat related question is whether we're going to keep trying to
> > > fit stuff onto CD#1, as opposed to moving to supporting various “USB
> > > key sizes”. If I'm not mistaken, Steve has expressed such a wish (or
> > > intent) during the last wheezy preparation steps.
> >
> > As a point of reference, I still have (and use every now and then) an
> > old laptop that has a cd-rom but no dvd-rom, and its bios does not
> > support usb booting.
>
> I have two desktops and a laptop (not all that old, five years) which do
> not entertain booting from USB. So you learn to be resourceful.
>
> For Debian we have the hd-media kernel and initrd. grub-mkrescue will
> make an iso with them and include a grub.cfg. iso-scan will find
> whatever ISO you choose to put on another USB stick. I hope Debian will
> continue to support those of us have such 'ancient' machines.
>
> Eventually, we are going to run out of ideas or patience with fitting a
> useful GNOME, KDE etc on CD#1. Its a lost battle. This is the time for
> innovation. Get it discussed and decided now and not two or three months
> before the next release.

If gnome or KDE doesn't fit on the first CD, it makes no sense to
pretend it does.  Put something that *does* fit on the first CD.  It's
perfectly possible to put the packages for a viable Linux system on a
single CD, but you'd need a desktop that takes less CD space.

If someone wants to have gnome or KDE anyway, he's can acquire a second
CD, or access the net after installing packages from the first CD, or
use a DVD or USB key or something bigger.

I'm not in favour of software bloat.  Let those who are use the second
CD or another installation medium.

-- hendrik