Re: task-desktop: default desktop environment for Jessie

On Fri 31 May 2013 at 15:11:50 -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:

> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> > Michael Gilbert <mgilbert@debian.org> (31/05/2013):
> >> It would probably be good to get that discussion started early during
> >> this cycle to reduce the surprise factor.
> >>
> >> Since it was rather difficult to fit gnome onto 1 cd in wheezy (and I
> >> think some pieces were left off anyway), I think it makes sense now to
> >> start moving toward something like xfce as the default that's small,
> >> and mostly capable, and 4.10 (now making its way into unstable) brings
> >> much needed accessibility features.
> >
> > A somewhat related question is whether we're going to keep trying to
> > fit stuff onto CD#1, as opposed to moving to supporting various “USB
> > key sizes”. If I'm not mistaken, Steve has expressed such a wish (or
> > intent) during the last wheezy preparation steps.
>
> As a point of reference, I still have (and use every now and then) an
> old laptop that has a cd-rom but no dvd-rom, and its bios does not
> support usb booting.

I have two desktops and a laptop (not all that old, five years) which do
not entertain booting from USB. So you learn to be resourceful.

For Debian we have the hd-media kernel and initrd. grub-mkrescue will
make an iso with them and include a grub.cfg. iso-scan will find
whatever ISO you choose to put on another USB stick. I hope Debian will
continue to support those of us have such 'ancient' machines.

Eventually, we are going to run out of ideas or patience with fitting a
useful GNOME, KDE etc on CD#1. Its a lost battle. This is the time for
innovation. Get it discussed and decided now and not two or three months
before the next release.