Re: ZFS support in partman-target

Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> In the absence of complaints, I've done that:
>  - base-installer: branched "zol" from master, and reset master to
>    where it was before the buggy merge.

Thanks for your work. But, it is not necessary or a good idea to
ever modify the history of published git repositories. Doing so
requires every d-i developer who may have done a git pull at the wrong
time, let alone those of us who run infrastructure that automatically
periodically pulls (or worse, pushes), to manually investigate and fix up
their repositories.

Our time is valuable. The d-i history contains much uglier stuff than this,
and its existance bothers us not at all in our day-to-day work.

joey@wren:~/src/d-i/installer>git log |grep revert| wc -l
89
joey@wren:~/src/d-i/packages/base-installer>git log |grep -i revert |wc -l
25

The right thing to do is to produce a single commit reverting
the changes $last_good_commit..HEAD

I have done this in the base-installer repository. It's a little tricky
to revert a merge, so here's how:

joey@wren:~/src/d-i/packages/base-installer>git revert -m 2 59ca4efdf61e32e54430f56cbeb84e8f54e4c9ec
[master 5f5a01b] Revert "Merge branch 'master' of git://git.debian.org/d-i/base-installer"
joey@wren:~/src/d-i/packages/base-installer>git diff HEAD..1.132 | wc -l
0

I have pushed this.

>  - debian-installer: branched "zol" from master, and reset master to
>    where it was.

joey@wren:~/src/d-i/installer>git revert d8ef3f7047a005aced83ce77d88fb9952b3fea7e
[master 978ef6d] Revert "Add spl and zfs modules, zfsutils-udeb and partman-zfs for AMD64 configs."
 9 files changed, 25 deletions(-)

Also pushed.

--
see shy jo, observing that we cannot learn much from history that
            has had the bad parts airbrushed out of it