Re: Wheezy: Questions about UEFI boot etc.

svante.signell@gmail.com wrote:
>On Wed, 2013-05-15 at 14:44 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
>> On Wed, 2013-05-15 at 15:20 +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
>[...]
>> > Can the problem be that the EFI partition containing W8 is /dev/sda2,
>> > while I have been writing grub to /dev/sda and /dev/sda5 (Linux /)?
>>
>> All EFI boot loaders are written to the EFI boot partition
>> (probably /dev/sda1 on your system) which is an ordinary FAT file
>> system.
>>
>> Maybe you booted the installer in BIOS mode (also called legacy or CSM)?
>> If you do that, it can't access the EFI boot variables at all.
>
>Don't really know, I have tried both options in the BIOS. Is there any
>possibility to see if the DVD is booted in EFI or BIOS mode? BTW: when
>booting I get the message: Error "prefix is not set".

That means you are *definitely* in EFI mode, using grub.

>> Maybe.
>
>So installing grub (grub-efi-amd64) to /dev/sda (the EFI partition
>is /dev/sda2) is the right thing to do? (to boot Linux, and then solve
>the (eventually) missing Windows 8 entry in grub later)

Installing grub-efi-amd64 and grub-efi-amd64-bin should DTRT,
including finding and adding a Windows 8 UEFI boot entry in the grub
menu.

"It's actually quite entertaining to watch ag129 prop his foot up on
 the desk so he can get a better aim."          [ seen in ucam.chat ]