Re: Wheezy: Questions about UEFI boot etc.

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 07:25:55PM +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> Hi,
> (Please Cc: me, I'm not subscribed)
>
> I'm about to install Debian Wheezy on a ACER Predator G3620 with Windows
> 8 installed. The hard disks are an 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD. I have a few
> questions:
> 1) I had to disable secure boot in the BIOS to be able to boot with the
> CD. What is checked wrt secure boot in the BIOS?

Secureboot by default on most systems will only boot code signed by
Microsoft.  Debian obviously isn't distributing code signed by Microsoft
so secureboot won't work with it.

> 2) When booting with the CD the kernel complains about no prefix set. A
> serious error? (I've done the install up to the disk partitioning step)

I haven't tried UEFI cd boot myself yet, but I think it uses grub, which
certainly can give that error.  If it boots past that, then I wouldn't
worry about it.

> 3) I plan to split both large disks partitions into a small W8 part and
> a larger Linux part. Should I do the split in W8 or with the Wheezy CD.
> The HDD has a rescue partition in the end of the disk, while the SSD has
> it in the beginning.

Windows's storage manage will allow you to shrink the disk (although
only if it doesn't require moving files I believe).  Don't create new
partitions from windows though, just leave unppartitioned space.

> 4) The Wheezy CD has support for UEFI boot. Should I choose that or the
> traditional boot option when installing grub2? Which are the
> differences?

UEFI boot places the boot code in the boot partition and is then
controlled by the UEFI boot manager as far as I know (I have not tried
it myself yet).  If UEFI boot works, then it makes sense to use it,
given future machines are likely to drop lagacy boot support eventually,
so if you use UEFI now, it would be easy to moee the drive to a new
machine later (although windows wouldn't like it of course).

> 5) Anything else I forgot?

Not that I can think of.

--
Len Sorensen