Re: Wheezy: Questions about UEFI boot etc.

On Wed, 2013-05-15 at 08:39 +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
[...]
> The installation went well, thanks. The remaining problem is that W8
> boot manager partition on the SSD /dev/sda2 has the boot flag set (not
> changeable from Linux, is it from W8?)

I don't think this boot flag is meaningful on an internal disk.  The
boot order is defined by EFI variables in NVRAM.

> On the SSD the Linux partition
> is /dev/sda5, which I made bootable (also UEFI boot). However, even if
> grub is written to /dev/sda no grub menu appears, and only W8 starts up
> every time. Additionally, booting from the HDD does not seem to be
> possible, at least within W8. How to access the UEFI boot manager, can
> it be enabled by a BIOS setting change?

The Debian installer is supposed to set GRUB as the highest priority
boot loader, but this may fail in some cases due to checks in Linux's
EFI variable access code (which are there to avoid triggering BIOS bugs
that can leave a computer completely unbootable).  Unfortunately there
seems to be another bug in grub-install, in that it doesn't report this
failure.

The BIOS might have a boot menu somewhere, where you can rearrange the
boot order or at least choose which entry to use for the next boot.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Every program is either trivial or else contains at least one bug